Red ramblings

Red ramblings are about my experiences in Shanghai life. My observations - colored by my viewpoint :-)

Sunday, July 19, 2026

AI versus Good Old Chat

AI versus Good Old Chat 

It is quite frustrating, really! Stifling actually. For those who are introverts or antisocial folks, I guess this is a golden period. But what do we loquacious extroverts do? Those of us who are looking for the opportunity to strike up a conversation and, if possible, delay the actual purpose why we struck up the conversation until it becomes unavoidable- we do have a problem!

I guess an example is needed. The other day, I was group-watching a FIFA Cup match. I am still getting up to speed on the finer nuances of the game. A few of us friends were chatting on WhatsApp while everyone was sitting in their homes all over the world, sipping tea/coffee, wine, chips, popcorn as the appropriate thing for everyone's respective timezone.  

There was a goal scored, and I was happy to announce it first on the chat - though I knew everyone was watching it anyway. "Na - that's an offside!", the Wise-One in the group announced. But I did not dare to ask - "what's that? What's and Offside?" I knew, or was rather afraid of the response - "Google it, man!" or worse, "LMGIFY". LMGIFY - Let me Google It For You - is sooo mortifying. As if I do not know how to do that! 

It used to be good earlier. You get a question - you pick up a phone and ask the expert. Or scratch your brain to see who could answer that. Or talk to a trusted friend who would know who the expert is.  That would mean a couple of completely nothing-to-do-with-the-main-query conversations! We would exchange a fair bit of gossip, exchange each other's well-being, pull each other's legs, remember old times, and in general have a cozy chat.  

Getting stuck on a recipe, for example,  was a great opportunity to call mother. She would then scold me for never calling. I would then remind her about the call we had the day before, which is like 'ages ago' for her!  Then she would be happy that I am seeking advice.  I would be reminded how lousy a cook I am! (That's in direct conversation.  She's all praise about my cooking while speaking with others!).  Finally, I will get the recipe with a few of the 'secret ingredient' level tips - usually they would be 'nothing', just like in the movie 'Kung Fu Panda'.

These days? Anything in the world, any cuisine, any regional dish - recipes are available upon typing a few keywords!  A few websites are even ready to create the Amazon shopping list for you! I mean - it is a great convenience, but where is the fun? You want to know if it is a valid catch when a fielder caught a ball inside the boundary line, threw it up in the air, jumped outside the boundary line, got inside and caught it - just ask away! No need to call a friend, promise him a chai, samosa, debate with him the merits of the rule - generally have a good time.  You ask, you get the answer. What's the fun there? 

Now there's additional scare - AI may not always give you correct information! Answers could be misleading. A friend too can go wrong, but then you can buttonhole the friend! What can you do with the Google search engine? Pretty much nothing!

I would rather get shouted at, made fun of, and have the offside rule patiently explained than read the answer by some AI chatbot! I am sure the friend method of answering will be far more understood. A bond created. Nothing nurtures friendship like being useful and running to the rescue of the friend. Sometimes, you deliberately create those situations even when you know the answer. Just to talk. Just to involve others, just to be involved!

Now who's going to read this? I am sure more AI chatbots would read and use it for their internal training than the pair of human eyes looking at this.  But I still write. Still call friends asking stupid questions. Still get scolded. Still assume the role of 'Group Idiot' - but overall have fun. Overcome the physical distance by virtual connections. Still have hope. Still have hope.

3 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

Hey, do call sometime with a question (especially one that I'm not likely to know the answer to), and let's have a chat about everything else :-)

8:50 AM  
Blogger Abhijit Tongaonkar said...

Ha ha ..

8:41 PM  
Blogger amit said...

happy to see that you have picked up the keyboard again :-)

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home